Who we are
Our cost consultants are committed to building lasting relationships with clients by offering exceptional service at competitive rates.
Preparing bills of costs can be a tedious, time-consuming task and result in under-recovery of expenses if not drafted in strict accordance with the requirements. Our capable cost consultants, who work with this daily, will ensure that you get what’s due to you, and not a cent less.
At AZ Legal Cost Consultants, we represent both sides. Winning parties in the taxation of their bills of cost, and unsuccessful parties by carefully scrutinising and, if necessary, opposing bills of cost to ensure you don’t pay more than you ought to.
In addition, our independent cost consultants can facilitate taxations in arbitration disputes.
What is legal cost consulting?
According to South African law, in litigation a successful party may recover its legal costs and expenses from the unsuccessful party. Taxation is the process to assess these costs.
Cost consultants are attorneys with the right of appearance in the relevant courts who specialise in the drafting and opposing of bills of costs in front of a Taxing Master.
Fill in below form and one of our consultants will be in touch.
The drawing fee for a bill of costs is calculated in accordance with the High Court and Magistrates' Court tariffs:
High Court Bills
10% of the attorney’s fees, either as charged in the bill, if not taxed, or as allowed on taxation.
Magistrates' Court Bills
5% of the attorney’s fees, either as charged in the bill, if not taxed, or as allowed on taxation.
Attorney and Client Bill of Costs
The drawing fee will be the same as High Court and Magistrates' Court bills. We also attend to the drawing and opposing of bills of costs in respect of security for costs.
The taxation fee to tax a bill of costs is calculated in accordance with the High Court and Magistrates' Court tariffs:
High Court Bills
Our fee for attending taxation of a High Court bill of costs is calculated on the total amount allowed on taxation as follows:
- 10% on the first R10,000, or portion thereof
- 5% on the next R10,000, or portion thereof
- 2% on the balance of the bill thereafter
Our fee for attending taxation of a Magistrates' Court bill of costs is calculated at 5% of the amount allowed on taxation.
- When a bill of costs is settled by us two or more days before the matter is set down for taxation, only the drawing fee of the bill will be charged.
- When a bill of cost is settled by us two days or less of the taxation being enrolled, the drawing fee and attendance fee will be charged.
- On special request, we will attend to the settlement, opposing or taxation of a bill of cost, which was not drafted by AZ Legal Cost Consultants, but such service will be subject to a special fee agreement.
Our fee for opposing a bill of costs is calculated at 10% of the savings on the completed allocatur after taxation (10% of the difference between the completed taxed allocatur and completed untaxed allocatur).